Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Geriatric dilemma 23-09-2008

Geriatric dilemma 23-09-2008

One does not swap an old diamond for a new pearl.

At my age life is so short. It changes so quickly. One does not get an opportunity to appreciate the tools of modern comfort that passes one by, like the various electronic equipments, that goes out of fashion before we can figure out how to use all it's functions.

The diamond I refer to is my old computer.

Things like, flash drives (What is that?), blue tooth and I think there is a red eye somewhere on this electronic monster too baffles me. I read about it in the computer magazines, but I have not used them yet. This blue-toothed red-eyed monster is now also using an ipod, which, in my mind, is like a commode used by a sick person.

It is all too complicated for my geriatric mind to grasp. Unfortunately, upgrading is imminent. To utilize the latest features in both Google and Yahoo, I have to upgrade. Previously I remained contented with the older versions of the new applications, but now that my husband was forced to buy a new camera after his old one got stolen, I have to upgrade. His camera pulls it nose up to my geriatric electronic conglomerate.

Old people like to use things that work and provide the service they require. Young people like bigger and better.

I had this little windows 98 computer setup for since 1999. Together we anxiously watched the Y2 crash turning into a tjookie. Midnight 2000 came and gone and my computer, and everyone else’s, never blinked a screen.

When the memory got full, I added another 40g memory. When I needed to create web pages, I added windows 2000 professional to run concurrently with my Lotus. Every time when I updated my cameras, I gained more editing software.

I transferred and copied all my work from my 1997 computer, which had on it much older work. Work that was downloaded to a tape drive from my first Amstrad 64 (1985).

Since 1999 I fed this computer daily.

It is my photo album.

Will I get the same value for money in one package – Windows Vista on the cheapest laptop on the market?

My Old Faithful runs Office 2000 Professional, Lotus, Imaging and scanning software, a scanner, old cheap dot matrix printer, and the host of other uploads that makes my computer input enjoyable.

I love the ease of data manipulation in Lotus, which is the word processor I use for my drafts. I then transfer the data to office prior to posting it.

The two packages work together on my computer like twins.

I am like an old person clinging onto the old VCR instead of using the new home theater system.

I guess the reason why I do not have the much needed computer equipment is not so much because I do not have the money to get one, it is because I dread the change. I dread giving up my good old friend, my little small screen 98 slow computer.

I am used to surfing the net and knitting cardigans at the same time.

I am used to pop into the kitchen and make a cup of coffee while my photos download to Photobucket.

Should I swap this old diamond for a new pearl?

Can a new pearl shine like an old diamond?

No comments: