Sunday, October 19, 2008

Rotten apples no food for a nation Sunday


2008 October 19

My eyes caught the television screen. The sound was off so I noticed the imagery rather than listen to the words behind the film.

I watch the wedding preparations of a wealthy African couple. The glamour and glitz is something like from a fairy tail. It must have cost millions.

I do not know who got married, on this day, and I do not want to know.

A message came clear to me. Here is an African couple that can spend the amount of money, in a few hours, which could have been housing and feeding a whole township of homeless for more than a month. There must be rot in the apple of African society if the gap between rich and poor is so great.

Does the money that is being poured into Africa, to make poverty history, reaching the poor, or making them even poorer.

Does BEE empower the unemployed, or just creating a different, even bigger group of unemployed?

If I were that couple, whoever they are, I would not be proud of spending that much money, even for the biggest day of my life. One can go overboard if one considers the suffering of other.

Then again, if I turned the sound of the television set on, I may have felt different. However - the argument stands.

No comments: